[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:33:32 UTC 2009

> definitely going, Gayathri,
>
> $ rpcinfo -p athene  shows portmap, but nothing else.
> $ rpcinfo -p panodra shows all the nfs stuff as well, but it should as the
> pandora installation goes
>

> |> Or perhaps that nfs-common (the nfs client package) isn't installed?
>
> it surely is. apt-get says so.
>
> I see that we haven nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server scripts and others in
> /etc/init.d
>
> and repeated (linked?) as S20 scripts in rc2.d to start the stuff, but that
> is as far as I can go. That's for level 2 which is the debian run-mode and
> hence I guess the same for ubuntu.
>
> What is the next link in the startup chain? for some reason nfs-common does
> not get going as per the red [fail] notice on bootup.
>
> thanks for the help
> Anne

Hey Anne:

Definitely seems "nfs-common" related issue then, as Wim suggested. Seems
like it is not started.

The following scripts need to start sucessfully:

<snip>

/etc/init.d/portmap start
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
/etc/init.d/nfs-common start

</snip>

Can you send output of "rpcinfo -p" for further troubleshooting?

--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39