[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Jan 4 17:37:30 UTC 2009

Wim, hi,

well it is installed but ... see below

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:43:33 +010
Wim wrote:

|> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Gayathri Swaminathan
|> <gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:

|> > That seems like "portmap" is not running (or) something is blocking it -
|> > iptables/ tcpwrappers..

definitely going, Gayathri,

$ rpcinfo -p athene  shows portmap, but nothing else.
$ rpcinfo -p panodra shows all the nfs stuff as well, but it should as the pandora installation goes

|> Or perhaps that nfs-common (the nfs client package) isn't installed?

it surely is. apt-get says so.

I see that we haven nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server scripts and others in /etc/init.d

and repeated (linked?) as S20 scripts in rc2.d to start the stuff, but that is as far as I can go. That's for level 2 which is the debian run-mode and hence I guess the same for ubuntu.

What is the next link in the startup chain? for some reason nfs-common does not get going as per the red [fail] notice on bootup.

thanks for the help
Anne

|> regards,
|> Wim