[Techtalk] method to replace bad disk

Ricardo Dalceno rddalceno at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:40:50 UTC 2009

Hi Sunbird,

I hope it can help you:

Boot with a linux live-cd like Kanotix, Knopix or Splax.
Plug your external hard-drive
Copy the contents of the internal drive to a folder in the external drive
Reboot your machine with the Windows XP install disc
Format the hard-drive
Install an AV (AVG is a good choice)
Update the AV
Plug the external hard-drive again
Scan it with the AV
Copy the contents back to your internal drive
Install the missing software you need

Hope to be helpful...

Ricardo j0k3r Dalceno