[Techtalk] Dealing with allegedly respectable company who send spam

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Dec 1 06:50:02 UTC 2009

Akkana Peck wrote:
> I'm not really disagreeing, but there is one downside to using a
> lot of email addresses like this if you don't manage it carefully.
>
> I find I've ended up with a slew of email addresses (maybe 20)
> and I'm not sure which ones I've given to which companies, so
> I'm nervous about turning any of them off because some of them might
> sometimes get useful mail.

I have my own domain name (miriam-english.org) and thus an infinite
number of email addresses. What I do is when I sign up for some list or
group I am a little suspicious of, I don't give them my normal email
address, I give them one that describes them. For example if a company
named xyz wanted me to give them my email address and I wasn't sure they
were reliable I give them "xyz at miriam-english.org". It will still get to
me through the catch-all on my account, but is easy to filter out. And
if I start getting spam to that address I instantly know exactly who to
blame.

Incidentally, a while back I signed up to a list using this technique
even though I trusted the people involved. It seems their pages openly
listed users' email addresses for a little while and were harvested by
spammers. I've received a lot of spam to that address, even though I
don't believe the group responsible was bad... just not as alert as they
should have been.

Hope this helps.

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory