[Techtalk] my home directory grew

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Apr 21 08:41:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

I recently moved our home directories from a hard drive to a RAID array.
Initially I copied the home directory like this:

nohup cp -a /home/* /new_home/ &

Then, once it was done, I disconnected the machine from the network, so
no one could mess with the home directories, and used rsync:

rsync -av /home/ /new_home

For some reason after I was done copying, the home directories had grown
from 539G to 907G. There are no strange new directories, and it appears
that links have been preserved correctly. Anybody have any ideas what
could have happened?

thanks,
maria