[Techtalk] mysterious pops driving me nuts--- OMG more!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Apr 15 00:59:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday April 14 2009 04:03:31 pm R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> Hi !
>
> That, in my experience, is a video card going too hot (I mean, it went
> too hot and now it's broken).
>
> Usually, graphics adaptor fan fails (cheap plastic axis), gpu heats till
> it breaks and then ... you have that odd display (probably some sync
> fails, or a clock signal gets jammed).

Ding ding ding, the winnah! I finally got some time to really look at it, and
both the case fan and the GPU fan were not spinning. Hint: if your computer
seems very very quiet, and you find yourself saying things like "Ahhh, peace
and quiet!", check the fans. After it cools down maybe I will have an OK
video card.

The fans were plugged into the same power lead. So I have a dead lead. I've
never had individual power leads fail before, power supplies have always been
all or nothing. It's a nice one, a couple-years old 450-watt Thermaltake. Do
power supplies make weird pops and then kill off individual power leads?

Carla

--
check out my books!