[Techtalk] progress with debian diskless client

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Thu Apr 9 23:33:47 UTC 2009

Hi Maria,

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Maria McKinley wrote:

> I am slowly making progress with my cluster setup. Soooo, last we heard
> I was having problems mounting the root nfs as read/write.

That may not be a brilliant idea, as clients may unexpectedly overwrite
each others' settings and therefore conflict with each other. Unionfs may
help you here.

> I decided that the problem was something about the copying of the server
> root directories into the root directory for the client. I decided to
> give debootstrap a try, and used that to create the root directory for
> the client. This time when I booted, it booted up to run level 2, and
> mounted the root directory properly. The problem, of course, is that I
> really don't want it stopping at run level 2, and I want it to have all
> of the same applications as the server.

You can change the default runlevel by changing the "initdefault" line in
/etc/inittab.

> One obvious problem is that it doesn't include nfs-common, so I can't
> mount the home directories.

If you can start the services manually, with e.g. /etc/init.d/nfs-common
start, then the runlevel is the problem. Otherwise, something else is
wrong.

> How can I update this new directory?

You can use the chroot command on the server to enter the virtual
environment. You may need to mount /proc, /dev/pts etc. for some commands
to work, but then you should be able to run get-selections or whatever
other commands you want.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.