[Techtalk] progress with debian diskless client

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Apr 9 23:18:55 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I am slowly making progress with my cluster setup. Soooo, last we heard
I was having problems mounting the root nfs as read/write. I decided
that the problem was something about the copying of the server root
directories into the root directory for the client. I decided to give
debootstrap a try, and used that to create the root directory for the
client. This time when I booted, it booted up to run level 2, and
mounted the root directory properly. The problem, of course, is that I
really don't want it stopping at run level 2, and I want it to have all
of the same applications as the server. One obvious problem is that it
doesn't include nfs-common, so I can't mount the home directories. How
can I update this new directory? I assume it has something to do with
using get-selections from the server and using dpkg with the instdir
option, but having never tried this before I'm a little gun-shy, and
wanted others to tell me that yes, this is the way to do this. Also, it
isn't clear to me whether this will fix the only booting to run level 2
problem.

thanks,
maria