[Techtalk] Powers of root

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Mon Sep 1 19:31:54 UTC 2008

Jim, hello

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:51:02 -0700
jim wrote:

|>    there's a difference between
|> $ su
|> and
|> $ su -
|>    using the su command alone is not the same as
|> logging into a system as root.
|>    using the  su -  command (with the hyphen as
|> an argument) is the same.
|>    the difference is that without the hyphen, su
|> gives you root user powers but not the root user
|> environment (most notably the value of the PATH
|> environment variable) and /root/ home directory.

I imagine that was it, something new I have learned today.

|>    i'm not familiar with the  mc  command.

Midnight Commander, the linux version of the old Norton Commander for dos.
I didn't think linux users used anything else, nicer than the gnome file manager with two windows. I remember seeing it mentioned in a computer hobbyist magazine when I had a Sinclair, long before I had a PC model 286 so it is living history.

|>    i can see a few possibilities: you made a typo
|> (always the first guess), or the directories
|> existed, or the hierarchy above was not as
|> required, or your system implements linux SE.

SE ???

|> the error message should give a clue: was it
|> exactly as you report or was their further info?

that was it except for typographical niceties, the ... represented the directory it was trying to create.

Thanks
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(