[Techtalk] partitioning - pro, con

Gina Feichtinger geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Tue Oct 14 07:13:54 UTC 2008

Hi Miriam,

On 14.10.2008 2:32 Uhr, Miriam English wrote:
> Gina Feichtinger wrote:
>> On 12.10.2008 2:51 Uhr, Miriam English wrote:
>>> Anybody know of good arguments why I *should* or *should not* partition
>>> the drive into a bunch of smaller areas?
>> Hm, I haven't seen anybody speak up yet to this topic. Have you considered
>> using LVM? You could start out with smaller logical volumes and increase
>> them (and the filesystem residing on top of them) pretty easily, if not "on
>> the fly" (depending on your OS and FS of choice).
>
> I thought I knew what you meant until I looked it up online
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_volume
> and
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
>
> This looks really interesting. Thanks Gina. It is going to take me a
> while to digest all that info properly.

It took some time until I wrapped my head around it properly in the
beginning, which IIRC was some time in 1999 with LVM on AIX 4.something
($DEITY, that long already?). Once you get the hang of it you don't want to
miss it ;-)

Seriously, if you have any kind of question to explain the concepts or
would like to see examples feel free to ask (me) on/off-list.

Cheers,

Gina aka LVM-fangrrl ;-)
--
Gina Feichtinger                :: LinuxChix member
System-/SAN-Administrator & DBA :: http://www.linuxchix.org/