[Techtalk] The Internet is my functional programming language

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 01:23:43 UTC 2008

Sarah, I think that's what I'm looking for.

Instead of having to hack/scrape a 100 different protocols, it'd be
nice if someone invented a "function server" that behaved something
like this:

% telnet functionserver.cornell.edu 81
OBJECT functionserver.cornell.edu/Math
METHOD sin
ACTION call

Obviously, I don't care if the data is sent/returned in WDDX format,
but it has to be a format that supports array, hashes, objects,
images (or binary data), etc.

Then, somewhere on the cornell.edu page there'd be an explanation of
what objects/methods their server supports. Or maybe changing "ACTION
call" above to "ACTION params" would return the method's signature?

This seems like a really really basic thing to do, even if you're just
scraping other people's data. Has anyone done anything like it?

I thought all the excitement about CORBA was about how objects could
live on the web and thin clients could access them?

Obviously, you could get fancier and let people create objects (like
hashes/lists), which is sort of what Amazon does with their "webstore"
objects.