[Techtalk] Need Help : Debian SID & Java

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:28:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

As this seems to be somewhat urgent I'm replying a bit early sorry about that.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Figaro <ynegorp at charter.net> wrote:
> Hello, all.
> I turn to this august group for help, again!
> I seem to have huge issues after system upgrade.
> The problem is the nothing Java based will run anymore. OO.org complains
> that the installed jre is defective, webstart programs never start (or
> fail to display beyond the "starting Java" splash screen.
> Unfortunately this was not my system from scratch and as such do not
> know whether a Java environment was initially user installed rather than
> through fakeroot mke-jpkg zxxxxxx. some version.
> What I have now is:
> apogee:/home/beaumarchais# update-alternatives --config java
>
> There are 4 alternatives which provide `java'.
>
>  Selection    Alternative
>          1    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>          2    /usr/bin/gij-4.3
>          3    /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
>  +        4    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java

The sun java VM will be your best bet. You should have a command
/usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives. Run:
update-java-alternatives --list
Note the name of the sun jvm, probably java-6-sun

Then run (as root):
update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun (or whatever name you saw in
the previous step)

That should set all the java alternatives correctly. If java ws won't
work from firefox you might have to navigate to /usr/lib/jvm/java...
manually and select it yourself for use when opening ws startup files.

HTH,
Wim