[Techtalk] Network interfaces in image replication

Joana Botto joana.botto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:49:36 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I had to install 16 servers with RHEL 5, I replicated the image using RAID 1.
The servers are exactly the same and each one has 4 network interfaces.
Some of the serves after a reboot don't have network, the network
interfaces seem to be switched like these eth0 looks like eth2, eth1
is eth3, eth2 is eth1, and eth3 is eth0.

I already tried to comment out the MAC addresses at
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX but after a reboot the
network interfaces still appear switched. I also deleted those files
hoping they would be generated but the problem still exists.

Looks like a common problem in image replication. Can somebody give me
a hand please.

Best regards,
Joana Botto