[Techtalk] computer starts wrongly

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Sun May 25 21:43:25 UTC 2008

Hi there,

While reading your answer, and I think it's the correct, the cause
seems to be the battery.

When switching manually off the ATX power supply, the motherboard has
no power. The battery being empty, at startup you get the "CMOS data
corrupted" error, moreover, modern motherboards retain how the computer
has been shut off last (power button, power outage, ...) and behave
according to some of the bios parameters (in case of power outage,
system may power on again as soon as power is back, usefull for
servers). As bios parameters are blown off, it may think it needs to
power on the computer after power outage. Bios parameters being
inconsistent, booting properly is hazardous.

Changing the motherboard battery seems to be the best solution.
I'd also invest in a small ups that filters the current against power
surge and undervoltage. But that is just a suggestion ;)

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.