[Techtalk] memory management and OOM killer

Kay Nettle pkn at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 15 13:00:00 UTC 2008

Does anyone know a good reference that would explain how memory
management is done in 2.6 kernel or am I doomed to have to read the
kernel code?  We got 10 quad core boxes with 16 Gigs of memory, to
let out students remotely login to.  It's running a 32 bit OS and
the OOM killer keeps wacking processes when there is still free
memory and lots of swap left.  I've set vm.overcommit_memory to 2,
but the OOM killer still kills processes, not as aggressively as
before, but I don't want it killing anything.  I'd rather the machine
trash.

Kay