[Techtalk] LAN IP addresses changed after router reset

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Wed May 14 14:49:43 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 13:46, Berenice wrote:
> Hi Sarah
>
> I'm using a Billion 7401VGP router/modem.
> It says that the active pcs in my LAN are:
> 192.168.1.3 (windows box)
> 192.168.1.4 (iBook)
> 192.168.1.5 (debian box)
>
> Pinging 192.168.1.1 and 2 got a "request timed out" result. Pinging the
> router (254) works fine, so if 192.168.1.1 were also the router IP it
> should reply.
>
> An Nmap scan on 192.168.1.1 and 2 said "host appears to be down".
>
> What puzzles me is why my computers suddenly changed IP addresses. I've had
> this router for a while and the IP addresses have remained the same
> whenever I've restarted the router.

So far you probably only restarted. What you did to recover the password, was
almost certainly a "factory reset". This will wipe its memory of allocated IP
addresses and set *all* parameters back to factory default.

Now your computers are using the newly allocated IP addresses. If you want to
force it, you can take the following steps:
- do a ipconfig /release on windows
- release the IP address from linux and iBook (as there are several options
here, you will have to figure out which one is valid)
- on linux and iBook delete "remembered" ip addresses (it will store leases,
and this memory needs to be removed. Most often in /var/state/dhcp)
- factory reset the router/modem
- start machines one by one in the order you want them numbered.... If the
dhcp server on the router hands out IP addresses starting from 1 this should
work ;-)

Cheers,

Rudy