[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Jennifer oneferna at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:39:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Michelle Konzack <
linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Hello Roberta,
>
> please stop...
>
> Am 2008-06-21 12:47:59, schrieb Roberta Gallini:
> > Hi Billie,
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with these things?
> > >

> > I am using it right now and it works like a charm.
> >
> > The distro used Xandros has been customized to be very fast to use.
>
> ...telling peoples it is "Xandros".  UHULinux, Ubuntu and over 280 other
> Distris are also based on Debian but  installing  PURE  Debian  packages
> will end in the hell...
>
> Even if the Distrubutions are derived from Debian, most  (95%)  are  not
> binary compatibel.
>
> Also  like  Xandros,  many  distributions  ship  only  old  versions  of
> software, even older then STABLE...

I'm so confused, it IS Xandros that is installed on the eee pc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
"The Synaptic Package
Manager<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_Package_Manager>and
apt-get <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-get> can be used to install
additional software through the
repositories<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository>,
although due to compatibility issues between the ASUS modified Xandros
operating system and traditional Debian and Xandros repositories caution has
been urged with some users reporting system abnormalities ranging from
unexpected software behavior to booting
inabilities.[55]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#cite_note-54>
"

Of course it's a "customized" version so you don't update it the same. But
it is Xandros.

I upgraded all the software via apt when i first got it and didn't realize
it was unionfs. Only a few icons broke. So it is possible. I think of the
Eee pc as more of an appliance than a real laptop because of that.

So remember anyone getting an Eee pc, read up about it on the eee user
forums before breaking stuff.