[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Jun 23 02:44:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:26:33PM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> How does the Eeebuntu work on the Eee? I've seen some chatter about
> things not working after the install.

Well, there's eeebuntu, and there's eeeXubuntu, and I haven't used the
former.

When I installed eeeXubuntu, it was based on 7.10 Xubuntu, and it worked
fine.  Someone in that group even made a patched kernel which fixed some
issues with the SD card and suspend.

However, I didn't want to stay at 7.10 when 8.04 came out, so I
upgraded, and ended up having a couple of problems:
1) the wireless only works if you download and build the latest madwifi
  drivers (and one has to re-do this every time you upgrade the kernel)
2) the problem with the SD card + suspend came back, and I didn't want to
  patch the kernel myself.

However, I did manage, after googling, to come up with a compromise for
point #2, by adding the following option to my grub config:

usbcore.autosuspend=1

What this does is that every time you suspend, it unmounts the SD card.
This means that you have to re-mount it when you come back from suspend,
but that's a lot better than the state it would get into before, when it
was neither mounted nor unmounted and one would have to reboot in order
to get it into a usable state.

So, those two things are niggly things, but I'm willing to put up with
them.  And the second one isn't an issue unless one wishes to keep an SD
card in the machine all the time as extra "disk" space.

Kathryn Andersen