[Techtalk] Like to voyage to Australia/Newsealand -> problem GSM...

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Wed Jun 18 13:34:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

this is generaly a technical request for  those,  which  are  living  in
Newsealand and/or Australia.

OK, I am fsck'ed in France and like to leave it more or less  VERY  FAST
so I am checking some countries of my choice...

First of all, I have two PCMCIA cards "Nokia D211" supporting only  GPRS
and a "Merlin U630" supporting ANY standards  up  HSPDA  with  7.2 MBit.
Also I have  a  "Nokia 6120 classic"  supporting  all  standards  up  to
3.6 MBit

So, in Newsealand I have seen "Vodaphone" but supporting only GPRS and
in Australia Optus/Telstra (GPRS/UMTS) and Vodaphone (GPRS).

HOW reliable are the GPRS and UMTS connections? (price and speed)
Do I need a fixed contract or can I access the Internet Pre-Payed?

And of course, since an dist-upgrade on my ThinkPad 570, I can not  more
access the Internet over the PCMCIA cards and  my  Cell-Phone  since  my
configs went eaten by the upgrade and I have no backups...  :-(  fsck!

Since I need only console tools (the "Vodaphone Suit for Linux" does not
work on my Computer and of course  sucking  over  120 MByte  of  useless
Dependencies from GNOME, Python2.5, X-Window-System,  ...)  can  someone
help me with the configuration and Kernel Modules I need?

OH, if I try to use the "Nokia 6120 classic"  and  load  the  "usb-ohci"
("ehci-hcd" does not work, even the cellphone  should  support  USB 2.0)
the Cellphoen menu come sup and ask me  for  "MediaPlayer/PC-Suite/Data"
where I choose  "PC-Suite".  Calling  "lsusb -v"  show  me  a  bunch  of
Devices and I have FOUR  modem  devices  (2 x Data/Control)  and  it  is
mentioned as ACM which mean, the  modem  should  be  "/dev/ttyACM0"  and
"/dev/ttyACM1" and if I understand it right, one is  for  the  GPRS/EDGE
stuff and the second one for the UMTS/HSDPA.

Now how to configure?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)