[Techtalk] hot laptop

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Jun 10 03:19:50 UTC 2008

Jennifer writes:
> I have Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron, installed on my laptop and it seems to run
> very hot. It's 2 yr old laptop, a HP pavilion dv2000.
>
> I don't know where to began figuring out why. But I did go to ubuntuforums

That sounds worth trying (I didn't know about "swappiness" and will
be looking into that myself).

But another thing you can do is install and run powertop. It will
tell you if you have any processes that are waking up too often or
using a lot of resources. In some cases it even gives you the
command to turn them off. It's a great program, well worth running
if you want to make a system run more efficiently.

	...Akkana