[Techtalk] recording computer sounds

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 22:23:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> Audio gurus, gather ye round! Is it possible to record sounds on your
> computer, like the music and sound effects from games, on the same PC? I'm
> testing a couple of desktop session recorders (video capture of whatever
> you're doing on your computer), and they record fine from an external
> microphone. But they don't capture speaker output, and it seems to me there
> ought to be a way to intercept and record that. (Preferably in software; I'm
> not into doing exotic looping things like plugging line out into the
> microphone input.) To give an example, I would like to record a few minutes
> of a Frozen Bubble game, with music and sounds.
>
> I use plain old ALSA, no ESD or artsd.

This is a quite complicated option but it is possible to use alsa to
capture stuff to file. At least I think so. Some links I found:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html#pcm_plugins_file
Presumably by writing the right asoundrc wherein you use the file
plugin you should be able to redirect the streams to files. Using a
soundserver might make this a bit easier but this is one way at least.

greets,
Wim