[Techtalk] recording computer sounds

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jun 4 20:40:21 UTC 2008

Audio gurus, gather ye round! Is it possible to record sounds on your
computer, like the music and sound effects from games, on the same PC? I'm
testing a couple of desktop session recorders (video capture of whatever
you're doing on your computer), and they record fine from an external
microphone. But they don't capture speaker output, and it seems to me there
ought to be a way to intercept and record that. (Preferably in software; I'm
not into doing exotic looping things like plugging line out into the
microphone input.) To give an example, I would like to record a few minutes
of a Frozen Bubble game, with music and sounds.

I use plain old ALSA, no ESD or artsd.

thanks!
--
Carla Schroder