[Techtalk] Linux file system versus dos/win model

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Jul 29 22:51:40 UTC 2008

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. It always seemed to me that
the Linux way of doing this makes for a couple of inconveniences.

It makes it harder to restrict a search to the main hard drive without
unmounting other drives or breaking the search into smaller parts. For
example if I'm looking for a particular program on the main boot hard
drive I need to either separately search /bin, /usr, /root, and any
other likely spots or else unmount any other drives attached to the
filesystem before searching /

The other problem is a conceptual one. Having the boot drive mounted
inside itself is just weird. Having all the other drives mounted inside
that one too is also counterintuitive. Things like this make it more
difficult for newcomers to Linux than it needs to be.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
My time wasn't completely wasted last year.
I went on a 940 million kilometer journey.