[Techtalk] Linux file system versus dos/win model

mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Tue Jul 29 22:34:38 UTC 2008

Hi Anne.

In the most pedantic sense, "/" is the root of the filesystem in Linux and
Unix, and you can add whatever additional storage devices and remote shares to
it wherever you want to.

In Windows, "C:\" is the "root" of the "C Drive", while "F:\" is the "root" of
the "F Drive".  there is no structure above C:\ and F:\ to unify them under a
single true filesystem, so the holistic "My Computer" is added to make one
file space out of them.

You can also mount your flash drive anywhere in the file system.  If you want
it to be /home/anne/flash, it can be mounted that way, instead of /flash. most
modern linux distributions provide automounting of USB devices under /mnt or
/flash to make the drives obvious.

A remote filesystem, which would be mounted as a lettered drive in Windows,
can also be mounted anywhere in your Linux file system, whether it is a samba
mount to Windows or an NFS mount to another Unix system.

you can navigate through directories of any regular, special, and remote files
using all the same tools.  There is no concept of "hidden files".

The key to a Linux or UNIX-like filesystem is that not only are objects that
normally lend themselves to being files treated as files, but so is everything
else.

Your mouse is a file, probably /dev/mouse
Your terminal is a file, like /dev/tty0
The parallel port is a file, /dev/lp0

The kernel keeps track of all these "devices" in a file system under /dev.
They have special attributes that set them apart from regular files.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

--mandi

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:28:47 +0200, Anne Wainwright wrote