[Techtalk] Programming language for a beginner?

Duana Stanley strongcoffee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 03:31:04 UTC 2008

Hi.  I agree with most other stuff that was written in this thread.

I had the same interest crop up after three years of uni and swapped from an
Arts Science degree into Software Engineering.  Although the quality of the
Software Engineering degree at Melbourne Uni comes under a lot of fire these
days, I think a software engineering degree is the best way to go if you
want to become a software engineer (aka software developer, programmer).  I
am now an enterprise java programmer.

I also think Python and Java are good languages to start with.  Python for
its simplicity and fun, Java because it's a typed-language and generally
more mature.

I got no end of fun from  http://www.pythonchallenge.com/  and I HIGHLY
recommend it as a way of learning any language.

The other thing I'd like to say, is that the world of computers is vast and
intricate and can at times be VERY overwhelming.  Take it one step at a
time, and let your interest be the only belief you need to know you can
succeed.   If you're anything like me, you will need friends and support
groups.  I see linux chix now has a programming mailing list, you might want
to use that.  Otherwise, feel free to join an australian women developer
google group I set up for women interested in meeting other women to discuss
programming/dev.

aussiedevchix at googlegroups.com

It's not very active, but people do answer and I will.

Good luck!