[Techtalk] email via memory stick?

Ian Balchin aesop at fables.co.za
Sat Jan 5 10:24:38 UTC 2008

Hi, again, and to dj who prompted this reply.

Several people have emailed me directly and suggested a portable
email client running on the memory stick. The hitch is that this is
not going to work both on the linux box and the win machine with the
different operating systems. Wine was suggested, but not I think on
this particular system which is only an old P200 (I live in the third
world here).

I think the crux of this particular problem is the standard or
otherwise of what gets sent out via smtp.

As noted there are always two files per email in my Mercury queue and
the installed smtp module relays them to my isp's smtp server as it
is supposed to.

Since the files are sent to Mercury from Pegasus Mail, which is
itself capable of sending direct to an smtp server, I am hoping that
the email standard is these two files. Nobody has commented on that
as yet. Just what sits in a sendmail(?) queue waiting to be smtp'd
out? Two files per email, or is this something specific to
Pegasus/Mercury? Any comment on this please.

If so despite the various solutions offered, the prospect of just
automating the moving of pairs of files off the memory stick to the
existing mercury queue is appealing in its simplicity. Getting them
on there should not be a problem if I set up sendmail(?) correctly.

Regards
Anne