[Techtalk] cyrus, postfix, debian, authentication, frustration

maria at shadlen.org maria at shadlen.org
Fri Jan 4 04:50:59 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I have been switching over to a new mail server, and I have many pieces
working. Mail is coming, being checked for spam, and users can check mail
using squirrel mail. What is not working is pine and other mail clients.
It appears that the server is not listening over port 993, and I have no
idea why.

PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
53/tcp   open  domain
80/tcp   open  http
110/tcp  open  pop3
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
113/tcp  open  auth
119/tcp  open  nntp
143/tcp  open  imap
443/tcp  open  https
783/tcp  open  spamassassin
953/tcp  open  rndc
2000/tcp open  callbook
9102/tcp open  jetdirect

It is listed in /etc/services. I just have no idea if this is a problem
with opening the port, a config problem for cyrus, a certificate problem,
or some sasl layer thing. Any ideas on how best to go about
troubleshooting from here, would be very greatly appreciated.

cheers,
maria