[Techtalk] netbooting Linux raid

Jean-Daniel Pauget jd at disjunkt.com
Tue Feb 26 15:25:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:13:07PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Hiya smart peoples,
>
> Can you netboot a Linux RAID array? Suppose you have a four-disk RAID array
> (plus LVM of course), and you have gobs of RAM, so you want the RAID array to
> be 100% data storage. No root filesystem, no /boot, no swap. Can you do this?
> Should you do this? It might not be practical for small networks, since you
> need a bootserver, but I'm thinking it could be useful for larger shops.

    I do use such design and it can be very convenient. now, I find the
    design of usbdisk, or even live-CD distros, somehow more efficient than
    nfs today, though, with gigabyte network, nfs is faster and easy to
    maintain. I'm trying to merge both in order to get some kind of good
    design of unionfs+nfs and tmpfs where needed (debian live-helper is my
    starting point) ...

--
    Jean-Daniel Pauget

    Tél: +33 (0)2 33 17 20 16