[Techtalk] netbooting Linux raid

Ricardo Dalceno rddalceno at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:54:18 UTC 2008

Hi Carla,

I believe that booting from a USB device like a memory key, flash cards or
something like these would be better then booting from network. Also, you
will *not* need a boot server and you may use all your disks to storage.

It could be a good idea to build something like those 'router/firewall in a
disk' but with tools that you would like to have in a storage system. Plus
it might be practical to small networks.

Anyway, if you want, you still can boot from network, but if your boot
server fails for any reason, you will have problems to access your storage
until the boot server is up and running again.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Ricardo D. Dalceno

2008/2/26, Gayathri Swaminathan <gayathri.swa at gmail.com>:

> Heya Carla:
>
> Netboot as in something like this: http://www.freenas.org/ ,
> http://www.openfiler.com/, NASLite or am I not interpreting your question
> correctly.
>
> In the past FreeNAS/ OpenFiler has bailed me a few times when there was a
> need for setting up a large file share ( short -term projects), backup
> server, code repository, media store solution.
>
> hth,
> Gayathri
>

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hiya smart peoples,
> >
> > Can you netboot a Linux RAID array? Suppose you have a four-disk RAID
> > array
> > (plus LVM of course), and you have gobs of RAM, so you want the RAID
> array
> > be 100% data storage. No root filesystem, no /boot, no swap. Can you do
> > this?
> > Should you do this? It might not be practical for small networks, since
> > you
> > need a bootserver, but I'm thinking it could be useful for larger shops.
> >
> > thanks!
> > Carla
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Carla Schroder
> > check out the shiny new Linux Networking Cookbook!
> > Chock full o' step-by-step howtos for network admins!
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102487/
> >
> > many more Linux howtos at
> > http://tuxcomputing.com/
> >

> --