[Techtalk] openoffice and scribus

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:11:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Conor Daly <c.daly at met.ie> wrote:

>  Would their people be open to using Lyx (http://www.lyx.org/)?  Lyx looks
>  after layout and the people only need concern themselves with content.  Lyx
>  is a gui front end for Latex and can be used with a suitable book DTD and
>  template to enforce a style / layout.

It is not a front-end for Latex. It uses LaTex in its own magical way.

>Since this is what Latex is all
>  about, it should cope more easily with layout requirements than MS Office or
>  OOo do.
>
>  That said, I don't know if it can export data in a form suitable for use by
>  Scribus...

LaTex is too powerful. In general for things that need to be done in
word processors Lyx will be more than sufficient. So there will be no
real need to export from Lyx to Scribus. Anyway it is possible to
import pdfs into Scribus (for making additions only).

btw Kword is also good from the dtp point of view.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani