[Techtalk] finding a warm-mist humidifier that isn't garbage

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Mon Dec 22 00:22:34 UTC 2008

We used to use a Vicks warm humidifier, but it does share some of the
problems you point out - you have to add salt to get steam, and it
leaves cruddy stuff at the bottom to clean out every night.  Our new
house has a whole house humidifier (Aprilaire 560) that we've so far
been really happy with other than the excessive water usage.  When our
furnace is on, there's a constant stream of water going down the drain
from the humidifier.  But it keeps the relative humidity in the house
at about 40% (and it's adjustable)

Elwing