[Techtalk] developing online shops

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 10 21:35:01 UTC 2008

There are a ton of different ecommerce web site packages so if you are
not already wedded to a specific language or framework, I would make a
list of features your site needs to support and then have a look at
the most popular ones to see how they stack up AND look for one that
doesn't have so many features you are always trying to take them back
out because they are in your way.

I am already a Rails developer, so if I needed to do ecommerce, I
would look at Shopify and ActiveMerchant. If I knew PHP, I would start
with one of the PHP frameworks.