[Techtalk] User mounting of a NTFS partition

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Thu Aug 7 19:40:01 UTC 2008

Small update on xvmount aka Tom's Device Mounter.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:53:11 +0200
Anne wrote:

|> Hi,
|>
|> see below

|> I have mounted my ntfs partition read-only. I think you should be careful that your linux supports writing, mine doesn't.
|>
|> My options are set as:
|>
|> user,ro,noauto,gid=windows,umask=002
|>
|> I can then mount it when I need. I use xvmount

I updated vmount from 3.6 to 3.7 (not that that is the latest version necessarily). The format of the config file xvmounttab has been simplified and mount parameters are now taken from fstab itself. xvmounttab now only contains the name to appear on the button and the mount point. Thus no need to maintain two files

Not that this small utility does much, but it does indicate successful mounting / unmounting which is more than mount does in a terminal. Retains info so if parked somewhere gives visual confirmation of current mount status of all devices under its control

Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(