[Techtalk] Printing quality of web pages from HP 5L

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Fri Aug 1 21:20:11 UTC 2008

Hi,

An update on this problem of printing web pages featuring monotype fonts (like the wikipedia page on 'newline') on my old HP 5L

I worked through an array of different drivers, trying the various settings. I have settled on the CUPS + gimp-print 4.2.5 which gives a marginal improvement, useable, just, maybe.

I had become used to a newer hp model with better printing. I see that Windows people also have a problem printing courier with the old 5L and then they download a truetype font 'dark courier' and use that in their apps. Some newer hp printers can be set to print a darker courier font, but I see no solutions like this for linux users.

But this problem is specific to web pages, so I changed the browser fonts, but although there were better mono fonts for onscreen, they printed just the same.

so no solution, I'll post if I find one though. I wonder if I upgrade my linux if the printer driver will have more features, or whether the TurboPrint system would be an improvement over CUPS. Not my most critical problem, but an annoying one.

Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(