[Techtalk] smartmontools

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 15:29:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Vid Ayer <svaksha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Earlier this week I had installed smartmontools on my compaqV6320**
>  but weirdly it does not activate as a daemon after the system boots up
>  (rather i execute it manually even though all instructions were
>  followed and it installed well with no errors).
>
>  I was told that is either a compaq problem or a kernel issue in
>  ubuntu. Is that so? I could not find any information for both via
>  google. Can anyone explain how to get around this issue and get
>  'smartctl' to work as a daemon for all the users after bootup.

That does not sound right. Probably it's just a configuration issue.
I'm not sure how the package is set up but have a look at
/etc/default/ to see if there's any smartmontools settings file. It
could also be a simple problem with needing to set it up in the normal
config file in /etc/.

>  ** This is dual-booted with Vista and i am wondering why smartctl does
>  not work for Vista when  grub controls the hdd bootup. Why do i need
>  to download and install it seperately for windows when i have
>  dual-booted the machine?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Windows vista has its own smart
monitoring capability. smartmontools are basically a bunch of programs
that read out information available from your hard drive. If smart is
enabled on the drive in the bios, windows will probably read this
information too.

hth,
Wim