[Techtalk] smartmontools

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 03:16:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

Earlier this week I had installed smartmontools on my compaqV6320**
but weirdly it does not activate as a daemon after the system boots up
(rather i execute it manually even though all instructions were
followed and it installed well with no errors).

I was told that is either a compaq problem or a kernel issue in
ubuntu. Is that so? I could not find any information for both via
google. Can anyone explain how to get around this issue and get
'smartctl' to work as a daemon for all the users after bootup.

** This is dual-booted with Vista and i am wondering why smartctl does
not work for Vista when  grub controls the hdd bootup. Why do i need
to download and install it seperately for windows when i have
dual-booted the machine?

Thanks !

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||