[Techtalk] Mailman - Thunderbird question...

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 8 16:01:03 UTC 2007

Hi all!

We have an issue with some members of another user group I'm with where
either they or their mail client seems incapable of sending plain text
e-mails. Since the list that is having this problem is the jobs list
(listing job opportunities), we want the mail to go through, just
stripped down to plain text and no attachments (.eml, v-cards, word
documents, etc).

The mail system is Mailman 2.1.9, and we would like to strip the junk
from the mail similar to how Thunderbird strips it for mailing to text
only sites. We want to be able to do this for certain e-mail addresses
in the members list which we use to determine who can mail to the closed
lists. We'd also like to be able to do this to the jobs list as we
manually load recruiters and HR people to those lists so they can post
jobs as they're available.

Stripping html et al from mail before it goes to the list is not an
option as we have eliminated all spam and viruses from the list by plain
text and no attachments (admins still get the bounces, but that's gone
from 200+/day to about 20 max per day). Just stripping the fancy stuff
means the base junk will get through. We just want mail from certain
people to get through stripped of the other junk without manual
intervention. This past week I had to manually clip, paste into
Thunderbird and re-send to the jobs list 35 job opportunities using
Thunderbird's stripping mechanism. My fellow admins had to do the same
for another 10 job opportunities.

I'm sure other admins are interested in this as well, so I thought I'd
ask here first and see if there is anything anybody knows about that
they can share.

Alvin