[Techtalk] Gentoo Kernel Upgrade - unable to mount root partition

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 09:24:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:43:34AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Kat thought:
> Hey AstroGirl!
>
> One of the reasons I procrastinate when it comes to upgrading, is that
> I invariably find myself googling error messages in the wake of it.
> Sometimes it takes days, sometimes it takes hours, and sometimes it is
> fixed in minutes.
>
> The thing is, I never know which it is going to be, and I feel
> completely amputated without my computer. Not just any computer (there
> are at least four other computers I can use at any one time, but MY
> computer is just the way I want it. Ahem. Mostly).

One of the suggestions I've heard on this subject is that you reserve a
partition on your disk to be a backup install of your working system.
When you do the upgrade on the main partition, the backup install is still
working fine so you can try stuff on the main install without fear of
losing the machine entirely.  It does mean sacrificing a certain amount of
disk space but, 3 Gb should suffice and is a pretty small part of modern
drives...

Conor
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>