[Techtalk] Leaving Win$ for linux.

Tracey C grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Oct 30 17:44:01 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:

> Hi Tracey,
>
> > It's unfortunate that Linux clients really don't come close to the
> > filtering power of Pegasus or the Bat through the GUI.
>
> I'm not familiar with either of those; could you expand on the kind of
> filtering you mean?

Sure :)

I currently use Sylpheed, and can do some excellent
> filtering at the GUI; I've also used KMail, which also has good
> filtering - I changed to Sylpheed (aka Claws) because it's a bit
> lighter on my laptop.

I've used both, and the filtering I had with The Bat was much more flexible.

With a few more details about the Pegasus functionality in question,
> maybe we could work out how to go about replacing it?

I've not used Pegasus in quite some time, I've used The Bat more recently. I
couldn't find a good overview of Pegasus filtering with a brief Google
search, so I'll talk about The Bat & general filtering needs.

The type of filtering I'm talking about involved being able to do multiple
things with a message with one rule including:
-Combined boolean filtering combining AND and OR and ANDNOT (If condition1
and (condition2 or condition3) are met then....)
-The ability to filter on incoming, outgoing or read mail
-The ability to filter on a string being present or not present in a
particular field
-The ability to filter on any particular header in a message
-The ability to have the filter check all headers &/or body of a message.

There's a good description of filtering in The Bat with a few use cases
here:
http://www.pcwize.com/thebat/filtering.shtml

I really think the only thing on Linux that comes close to this are procmail
filters.

Tracey C