[Techtalk] Slowly-scrolling scrollbars.

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:33:27 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, aesop at fables.co.za <aesop at fables.co.za> wrote:
>[...]
> When I click on the scoll bar and use this to go down through my document the scrolling is
> extremely slow, painfully unuseably so.
> If I use the down arrow to move the cursor down, then once it gets to the bottom of the page it
> too slows to a halt. The text can hardly crawl up from the bottom!
> The PgUp/Dn buttons are slow.
>
> Gnumeric is faster, but not fast. All sorts of other things like screen savers seem to go at a
> reasonable speed. I see that I am using less than half of the memory even when running the
> system monitor
>
> Do you think I have a video card problem? It actually has an onboard S3 chip and I set this at
> about 4096 in the Xconfig file up from a lower value and no change.
> [...]

It definitely sounds like a driver issue. Can you find the relevant
section in your xorg config file and post it here? This is the part
that mentions the video card driver and perhaps copy in the part with
your resolutions as well. In fact, maybe it's best if you just attach
the whole thing as I can't remember what any of the sections are
called. :-)

A similar problem I once diagnosed was with a certain video card
driver that had painfully slow performance when used in 24 bit mode.
The man page for the driver contained a note to that effect in this
case. I don't know if it was the S3 driver, but might be.

greets,
Wim