[Techtalk] ISP that will allow home servers in Canada (Vancouver)?

Lucia Sanchez lu at gusilu.net
Tue Oct 23 20:43:28 UTC 2007

Hi!

I've just moved to Vancouver, and I am agonizing over getting an
Internet connection, so I wanted to ask for some help.  If this is not
the correct list, just point me out to the right one.

I don't know which provider will best fit my needs, as they do not have
the full technical characteristics of what they offer online, and when
calling they get confused that I am not a busness but an individual and
need these things, often not even giving me complete answers.

The ideal thing would be an ISP that places no restrictions on TCP port
access, has a decent upload, and no data transfer limits.  Does this
exist in Vancouver??

The thing is, I want to set up a home server (mainly mail, web, and
remote SSH).  So from what I can figure out, I will need access to the
following TCP ports:
- Incoming connections to: 25 (SMTP),993 (IMAP over SSL), 22 (SSH), and
maybe 465 (SMTP over SSL)
- Outgoing connections to: 25 (SMTP), plus the usual ones

And of course a decent upload speed (500k or more), and not too
restrictive data transfer limits if there are any.

It would also be desirable to have a fixed IP (even paying a little
extra i it's not too much), though not necessary.

So ...... any suggestions?

Also, if anyone had any information about hosting companies that just
allow you to place your own machine, give you remote SSH access to it,
and only take care of stuff like the network connection and electricity,
that would be great.

Thanks!,
--
Lu.