[Techtalk] Designing a Wireless Network

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Tue Oct 16 12:56:13 UTC 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Kai MacTane wrote:

> That wouldn't really work for me, due to the presence of the Windows
> machines. I need things to be nice and safe for them. However, given
> Rudy Zijlstra's assertions, below, it might not be a problem. Can you
> verify what he says?

Yep - if the WAP does WPA, it should still keep doing it in "bridged"
mode.  (and MAC authentication)

> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> Reading this, i get the idea the wireless AP is giving out IP
>> addresses.
>
> Yes, the WAP has its own built-in firmware NAT/ipmasq firewall and
> DHCP
> server.
>
> For those who care, the WAP is a D-Link DI-624. Galadriel currently
> gives out IPs in the 192.168.1.* range, and the D-Link (named "Tol
> Eressea") gives out IPs in 192.168.2.*. Sorry, I should have included
> those details.

I have a cheap (15 USD) belkin 54g, couldn't tell you what model, but
it has bridging mode.  Any of the Apple WAPs support it, as do older
Orinocos/Avayas which I don't think are even made any more.  At work,
we use a Linksys which does not support it.   YMMV on which devices
support it or not.

It looks like the new Belkin 54g supports it: http://www.belkin.com/
support/kb/kb.asp?a=2814, and they call it something else.

Good Luck!
Elwing