[Techtalk] I got Linux working with Comcast (my ISP)

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 4 01:20:53 UTC 2007

Quoting comcastuser at fastmail.fm <comcastuser at fastmail.fm>:
> The way you configure your DNS depends on your distro. Traditionally you
> would edit /etc/resolv.conf, but in my distro that file is auto-generated.

Which drives me BANNANAS! Please distros, don't make standard files
user non-editable. Some of us like Unix because everything is in an
editable file. Sometimes it isn't really easy to find and manipulate
that file. But there is generally one place (or perhaps an handful of
places) to go look and see what the system has been told about XYZ.

> Since I use Fedora (Red Hat), I ran /usr/bin/system-config-network,
> which has a nice GUI. (I actually got it from the menu bar at the
> top of the screen, but it's easier to identify the command by name
> than in the menu.)

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can bludeon system-config-network
into letting me add a default domain to its auto-generation stuff.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu