[Techtalk] I got Linux working with Comcast (my ISP)

comcastuser at fastmail.fm comcastuser at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 4 00:58:55 UTC 2007

I recently had some trouble getting my Linux box to work with Comcast
(my ISP), and since the web didn't give me any direct answers, I had to
figure it out for myself. So I thought I'd share the knowledge.

Comcast uses DHCP, which is a standard protocol which allows the client
machine (my computer) to ask the network what its configuration should
be. I should have been able to just plug in the ethernet cable and boot
the machine, since my Linux distro uses DHCP by default. But somehow
that didn't work.

I figured out that I was actually connected to the Internet, but my DNS
wasn't configured. That meant that I could contact a server by IP
address but not by name. Not a very good scenario.

At this point I might have tried to find my ISP's DNS server and
configure it manually. Or I might have connected through a router,
because some routers manage DHCP themselves. But instead I configured my
machine to use OpenDNS: the primary DNS is 208.67.222.222 and the
secondary DNS is 208.67.220.220.

The way you configure your DNS depends on your distro. Traditionally you
would edit /etc/resolv.conf, but in my distro that file is
auto-generated. Since I use Fedora (Red Hat), I ran
/usr/bin/system-config-network, which has a nice GUI. (I actually got it
from the menu bar at the top of the screen, but it's easier to identify
the command by name than in the menu.)

  comcastuser at fastmail.fm