[Techtalk] opinions wanted!

B Seeger seeger at prosensing.com
Fri Nov 30 14:15:37 UTC 2007

Hi Carla,

Wow - we should have this book in house already - it would have been
incredibly handy for me over the past year.

One of the things that has cause me great annoyance is understanding
kernel boot parameters.   From one of our machine's menu.lst:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro mem=1760M
noirqdebug

We have a driver that we tell to use upper memory - so we need to use
the mem= command to limit the kernel.  I've only found about 2 webpages
that helped me with understanding this command.  We also setup how much
virtual memory there is as well.  It gets confusing, especially when you
know that you can really mess things up on this one line and can't
easily find an in depth explanation of these parameters.

I looked at the chapters from your link and didn't see this, though I
could have missed it. :)

When do you think the next edition will come out?

Any chance you could have a section on how to trim a version of linux
for use, say, on an embedded device where you only using flash memory
(no hard drive) and it will run in memory as a r/o operating system?
(syslinux & bzimages?).  We have a system like that now and I'm afraid
I'm going to have to update the kernel to get better USB support.

-Bethany