[Techtalk] opinions wanted!

Jean-Daniel Pauget jd at disjunkt.com
Fri Nov 30 09:22:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:43:00PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  I'm writing the outline for the 2nd edition of the Linux Cookbook, whee, how the years do fly by. What topics are your burning desire? In addition to correcting embarassing blunders and updating old stuff, I'll add chapters on software RAID, LVM, and Zeroconf/Avahi.
>
> What else should go in there? Check the table of contents for inspiration:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/toc.html

    I only read the table of content, and realised that the scope of the
    book is rather wide !

    here are some points (that may already be in the book here or there,
    though) that came to my mind :
	- about choosing the way to configure your linux box : cooked
	  via something à-la-yast (erk !), or hand-made straight with
	  configurations files ?
	- something about locales ?
	- about sanity behaviours when tuning any configuration files :
	  back-up and time-stamping all changes.
	- some chapter about simple straight out of the box networking ?
	  pppoe ? wifi ?
	- something about subversion and other new fashionable revision
	  control systems ?
	- something about propietary drivers (nvidia ?) or utilities (LSI
	  raid managers) that are often mandatory on some machines ?
	- something about removable disks (usb, digital cameras) ?

    just some raw thoughts ...

--
    Jean-Daniel Pauget
    http://disjunkt.com/ http://nekodune.com/