[Techtalk] autoconf, automake and Arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniele Dutra daniele.dutra at gmail.com
Fri May 11 18:30:58 UTC 2007

Don't panic :-)
I once needed to do this auto* stuff and I had the same kind of trouble.
This page: http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/autoconf/autoconf_toc.html helped
me lots that time.

As far as I can remember, what you might be needing now is to run
autoheader.
Check http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/autoconf/autoconf_29.html for more
information.

Hope that helps!
Good luck there ;o)

On 5/11/07, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since 24 years I write my Makefile self, but now I have a problem!!!!
>
> I am writing a new program which is a little bit bigger and I want to
> use autoconf/automake to do the stuff but do not know, HOW TO BEGIN
> with this pig!
>
> OK, I have found 'autoscan' and it generates a configure.scan.
>
> Hmmm, I was thinking it generates a configure.in.  OK, - renaming it.
>
> Run now autoconf, - Oh wonder, I have now the 'configure' script.
>
> Running this for testing I get:
>
> ----8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
> [michelle.konzack:devel.private:~/devel/tdimap-client] ./configure
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: config.h.in
> ----8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> And now?
>
> How can I get this config.h.in?
>
> Greetings
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Lost in the auto* world
>
> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
> ##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
> Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
>                    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
> 0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Daniele Gomes Dutra
Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento
Porto Alegre - RS