[Techtalk] I need a server for multiplayer games for the blind I am developing

Mr. Hardy tech-talk at htpad.com
Thu May 10 18:35:05 UTC 2007

Hello friends, I need help!

I'm trying to develop text-based multiplayer games for the blind and I need a server to handle incoming clients and data management.

Clients will be connecting directly to the server via sockets which will be hosted at my website.

Instead of building a perl based server from scratch to handle multiple games and multiple players per game, I wanted to know where I could obtain an already built, tested, and secure perl based server.

I say perl based because that is the language in which I would be most comfortable making changes. (io::socket)

Project model:

-Separate perl based daemon - hosted at my website to keep the perl based server securely running at all times. (my web host is unix/linix)

-Separate perl based server - hosted at my website for all clients to connect to via sockets. Perhaps some dropped connection handling, resume play after disconnect handling, anti cheat code, and anti hacker code.

-Separate Client software - which I will program myself to handle most of the processing of all games.

Note: I say Separate because I do not want these three aspects integrated. For instance, if I find a better daemon, I would like to simply be able to replace the old one without having to do a lot of re-programming.

The server will simply capture commands from clients, send those commands to a function or script where I can process them, and handle data management to and from all clients of a particular game.

The server should have commands I can use to handle the commands coming in from the clients. What would be nice would be an added chat feature, if possible.

Because I've never written a server before, I'm merely extrapolating on what I believe I will need a server to do. What I do not want to do is to try and re-invent this enormous wheel. I would rather spend my time creating games in my client software I can interface with the server.

I would appreciate any help you can give me with this massive project. It would likely take me too long to develop the server myself.

Please feel free to forward this request to someone in the list you think may be able to help with my project. I'm pretty much stuck until I can find a good server.

If this does not exist, I would be willing to let someone walk me through the process of creating it from scratch. I am very eager.

Thanks, Mr. Sal Hardy
Read one man's journey:
http://www.htpad.com/journey