[Techtalk] Grub Error 22

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:27:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

Since nobody seems to be jumping in to answer this I guess I'll take a
stab at it. :-)

On 6/25/07, Wendi Wise <wendi at choiceprojects.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have reloaded a server that was running Ubuntu 5.10 with ltsp with
> Ubuntu 7.04 and now I get the error message above.  I did re-partition
> both HDD with / on sda and /home on sdb.
>
> The information I keep getting from the net is that it can't find the
> Windows partition, but I never had one to start with.

Alright, I looked up the error in the grub manual, it has this to say about it:
22 : No such partition
    This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device
part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.

Since this only happens in stage 2 I'm going to venture a guess and
say that grub can probably read its files from the boot partition but
they have some faulty entries.

> The conclusion finally is that GRUB is corrupt but what do I do next?  I
> have tried to re-install GRUB, but it doesn't accept the device /dev/sda
> - but it says could not find a device for /boot : not found or not on
> block device.

I'm not sure if reinstalling grub would help. If you can, could you
boot from live cd again (which I assume you were doing?) and check
whether the menu.lst contains any entries that don't check out. (you
might have to mount the boot partition manually, make a directory in
/mnt and mount /dev/*** /mnt/yourdir). If it does contain faulty
entries you should remove them or comment them out and try booting
again. Possibly modify them so you have at least one correct entry
booting your system. Chances are it will work.

If it doesn't, a more detailed report of the way your partitions are
set-up (what partitions, what mounts where, is /boot separate or
included in /) would probably be useful, from that we could help you
with the setting up of grub.

greets,
Wim