[Techtalk] Techtalk Digest, Vol 52, Issue 16

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Fri Jun 22 16:22:06 UTC 2007

Hello, all.
Yes as stated below: the spacers are also functioning as insulators.
There are many potential points of contact between  various motherboard
components and the case  "pan" , which is a reason to use 'stand-off'
spacers that are  of low conductivity materials. There used to very
great concern about localized magnetic field generation inside comp.
cases, as well as the generation of electrostatic fields emanating from
fan airflow. Over the years with higher buss  frequencies, etc.. there
is less concern. However the standoff insulators do need to be in
place......... they also provide for cooling airflow.
matthew